Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Babble On In Babylon

So, as I mentioned earlier, I have started Beth Moore's Daniel Bible study at my church. I have been loving it, which isn't hard to do, because Beth Moore pretty much rocks!
In today's video segment, she read a poem, "Babble On In Babylon". It was awesome, and I was able to find it online. So I had to share it with you.
But first, there may be some of you who are confused as to why I am talking about Babylon, or maybe you aren't familiar with the stories of Daniel, in the Bible.
And I don't have too long to write, unfortunately, but really quickly let me tell you that Daniel was in his young teens, when he was taken with many other young boys, from his home in Jerusalem, to be under the rule of and work for Nebuchadnezzar, who reigned over Babylon, and to be taught in his ways and to learn about his gods.
But Daniel resolved in his heart to stay true to the One and Only God. He resolved in his heart not to be tempted or swayed by the new culture, and by doing so, he was able to show Nebuchadnezzar the one, true God.

And the Babylon philosophy can be seen reigning over our culture today.
It is the philosophy that "I am more important, and there is no other as important as me."
It is the desire to over-indulge. It is self-absorption, self-focus. It is a constant desire to have and want and need materialistic things. It is the desire to be on top, to be powerful. It is the desire to be accepted in our culture, to look good, to wear the right things, to follow trends.
An older gal in my small group mentioned how Time and Life used to be the popular magazines. Now, it's Self and US and People.
See, what I mean.
And a lot of the study revolves around us, as Christians, not getting lost in the Babylon philosophy. Because it is what can drives us away from God.

So, here is the Babylon poem. Do you see yourself in it?? I know I can see myself in there.

Babble On in Babylon
Author unknown

Brimming closets, shoe racks bulge.
One in every color; I'll just indulge.
My wildest whim will oft be met
Bigger, faster, give me, get.
Travel on in Babylon

May I go first, do you not care?
For my time’s precious, you’ve lots to spare.
I'll slip in front and off I'll go
See I'm quite fast and well, you’re quite slow.
I and me, fast friends life long
Praddle on in Babylon.

Nip it here, just there a lift.
I just turned forty. It was a gift!
The eyes, the lips, the bosoms do,
Sculpted, lasered, injected too.
No wrinkles left; the tummy's gone.
Journey on in Babylon.

Enough of me, how do you view me?
You get one, but give me three.
I couldn't bear to just say no.
It's my desire and rightly so
Add another and on and on
Shuffle on in Babylon

No end in sight that I can see
Today’s blocked by the mirror in front of me.
A wreck, a death, tsunami tide
It mildly stirs me, I must confide.
TV claims, tens of thousands gone.
Oh well, let's see what else is on.

Numb to stunning sight of each new dawn.
Sinking fast in Babylon.
Like a lobster in a pot
Who begins to like the water hot,
I've been duped, been tricked, been had.
Convinced that truth was somehow bad.

Evil coddled and cooed and purred,
And beckoned me and called and lured.
Now in a place with the light turned on
I'm racing home from Babylon.

0 comments: