Sunday, February 3, 2008

Psalms Sunday - Psalm 61







Psalm 61
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.
1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah

5 For you have heard my vows, O God;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

6 Increase the days of the king's life,
his years for many generations.

7 May he be enthroned in God's presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

8 Then will I ever sing praise to your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.


What a beautiful Psalm today. It is short and sweet, yet speaks volumes. It shows a man who is longing to be close to his God, his Rock.

In verse 2, David says, "I call as my heart grows faint."
So I ask you today, where do you go when your heart is overwhlemed? Do you have temporary emotional fixes? Do you turn to something to escape it? Do you partake in retail therapy? Do you NEED to have a friend at that moment, because you don't want to be alone with your troubles?
Do you turn to God? I mean, do you right then and there fall on your knees and give it to God, passionately, genuinely and wholeheartedly?

I can tell you, that there are many times when my heart is heavy, and I am nudged to open up to Him. It's like I hear him say, "I know you are troubled my child, pour it out to me. I care. I will listen. I will comfort you. I will help you. I love you."
And I think to myself to get on my knees and give it to Him. And I know I'll feel so much better as I pour it out and fill up with His love.
But many times, sadly, I instead chat with a friend or turn to some other little fix.
And I honestly don't know why.
Does it seem like it's reciprocated better, since I am getting that response verbally right then and there? Or is it because my temporary emotional fixes take my mind off of what is troubling me?

Oh, my overwhelmed heart, let God hear your cries. He is the most wonderful counselor.

I also want to point out, that in most of the Psalms, David begins with a request, and ends in gratitude. That is another thing I want to work on. I always think of my needs or needs of friends and loved ones in my prayers. I pray for them, but so many times my request list is long, but my thankful list is short.

May we work on having such a heart of gratitude. May we focus on the blessings and thank Him all of the time for all that he does.

Have a blessed week!

0 comments: