Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I am pretty certain it was the hands clutching a nest that lured me in.  (I do have a thing for birds)

Maybe it was the desire to spend some time reading a book for myself. I am in school and have had my nose stuck in textbooks, and it doesn't always make for fun reading.

Maybe it was the book's description:  

 "Forget the bucket lists that have us escaping our everyday lives for exotic experiences. How do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties? What does a life of gratitude look like when your days are gritty, long and sometimes dark? What is God providing here and now? 

One Thousand Gifts invites you to wake up to God's everyday blessings. You will embark on a transformative spiritual discipline of chronicling gifts. You will discover a way of seeing that opens your eyes to gratitude, a way of living so you are not afraid to die, and a way of becoming present to God's presence that brings deep and lasting happiness."

And maybe, just maybe it was that tug in my heart that I have been feeling so strongly lately. The one from my heavenly father, gently nudging me to spend some time laying at His feet. His soft, yet constant whisper in my ear reminding me that He wants to give me rest.

One of my favorite reads, when I find time to hop from blog to blog and site to site, is (in)courage. Last month I was delighted to find that they were starting a book club and the title was going to be One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.

They also mentioned that if the cost of the book would truly hinder our participation in the Bloom (in)courage Book Club, they would love to provide a free copy. I signed up for a free copy and received it today! :)

I am looking forward to diving into One Thousand Gifts. I hope that it will encourage me, change me and bless me.

There is still time to join in on the book club if you want. Details are here.

Yes, I know that I am adding one more thing to my already overflowing plate, but I know that deep down, I NEED THIS!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

This "one more thing" is going to make all those other things pale in comparison.

May you be lifted up on wings, my dear, dear friend. ((hugs))