Thursday, September 27, 2007

Psalms Sunday - Psalm 46




Wow, so I am really late aren't I? The post that I will write next will kinda explain this a bit. I am so sorry girls.
And then when I read Psalm 46, I realized, man, I really should have done this one sooner. Of course, I believe it is one we are familiar with. We have heard many verses of it in various worship songs.
Here it is:

Psalm 46
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. A Song for Alamoth.
1 God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah

4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
6 The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved;
He uttered His voice, the earth melted.

7 The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah

8 Come, behold the works of the LORD,
Who has made desolations in the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
He burns the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

11 The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah

Real quick, I just learned today what Selah means. It means to pause, reflect, be calm.

So, I am going to focus on the first part of verse 10 today. It is one we have heard numerous times.... "Be still, and know that I am God."

I truly think this is one of the hardest things to do. Although, I do find I am pretty good at it with some things, because I have faith in God, and I know He has my best interest in mind. There are definitely times when it is hard to just be still.
Also, we live in such an instant gratification like society. When we want to talk to someone, even if we are out and about, we use our cell phones. We can email and chat over messenger. We can buy furniture when we don't have the money, because they have the no interest no payment for 2 years thing. I mean every where you go, your wants for the most part can be fulfilled pretty quickly. So when we have to actually be still and wait for something, it's pretty tough, even when we are waiting on God, our source, our life, our help.

I mean how hard it must be for the mother of two young kids who is just diagnosed with cancer, to "be still and know that I am God". Or for the parents whose child goes missing, to "be still and know that I am God". Or for the parents with very sick children to "be still and know that I am God". Or for those being persecuted to "be still and know that I am God". And of course those are serious issues. I am sure we have problems being still, even with things not as serious, like a behavior issue with our children or a misunderstanding with our spouse, or maybe a decision over a promotion at work.

So I guess in order to be still and know that He is God, we have to think about who God is to us. We have to look at all He has done in our lives. We have to look at how we view Him. Is He our refuge in times of trouble? Is He the first one we talk to in the morning and the last one we talk to at night? Is He our close friend? Is He the one who we give the credit to for all the blessings in our lives? Is He the one we trust? Is He the one we know will look out for our best interest? Is He the one who holds us?

He will always be these things if you let Him. And it is then that you can realize how easy it is to Be Still and KNOW that He IS GOD!!

If you participated, go ahead and leave your linky, if you do read this. I will visit all of you regulars and read your posts as well. And I am so sorry that this is sooooo late.

0 comments: