Saturday, April 7, 2007

My Quilt Block

So, I went over to Tiff's tonight to work on the mister's quilt. I got there about 9:00 and spent about 4 hours sewing away. Tiff was a sweetheart and cut for me to help it all go quicker.

And again, I had a crazy driving experience. It had been misting and raining all afternoon and the temperature dropped substantially this evening, so the roads were pretty slick. I was driving about 35 in a 50 and a car behind me went into the middle lane to pass me I suppose. He then started kind of swerving into my lane...I thought maybe he was drunk...but then all of a sudden, his car went crazy. He went from swerving in his lane..to gliding across the entire street...almost into the median. Then he headed back over toward me and his car started to spin. His back end almost whipped the front of my car.

He continued to slide and spin and I slowly put on my brakes. I didn't want to slam them, because I knew the roads were slick. As I pressed on them, they made that crunching sound they make when you are driving on cold roads and for a few seconds I was afraid that I wouldn't stop in time. But I did. He was a lot less than a car length ahead of me. In fact he was pretty darn close to me. I stopped just as he whipped his back end one last time before he turned around again and ended up on the side of the road. As I stepped on my brakes, I watched the cars behind me too...hoping that their vehicles would stop and not hit me. But boy was it scary.

When I started driving again, I was hyperventilating. I was breathing so hard and fast. But I made it to Tiff's safe and sound...and a little shooken up. Ya know, when I got in my car at home, before heading out, I was nudged to pray. And I did. I prayed to make it to Tiff's safely! I had the mister in the car with me as well...so I am so thankful that we were kept safe.

Anyway, we got all of the quilt blocks done...YAY! So, now we have to sew all nine of them together..add a couple of borders...the batting and the backing and we'll be done. Here's a pic of me sewing (I am definitely getting the hang of it).


And here is one of the quilt blocks.


I just found this article in the city paper: I was driving on Powers tonight.

Glassy roads send cars sliding, killing 1 driver
April 7, 2007 - 1:01AM

A driver died Friday night after being thrown from her Jeep when it hit a guardrail and rolled as freezing drizzle suddenly iced over roads when night fell.

The crash was among dozens throughout the region, where drivers, struggling to get home safely, reported that vehicles too numerous to count had slid off roads.

From about 5:30 p.m. through 9 p.m., police officers answered calls about rollovers and other crashes without stop.

Interstate 25, Academy and Powers boulevards and East Platte Avenue became “sheets of ice,” rescuers reported on their radios as they tried to clear damaged vehicles through the night.

Police did not release the name of the woman who was killed. She was driving east in the
5700 block of East Platte Avenue about 5:30 p.m. when her Jeep Wrangler swerved off the road and struck the median guardrail, police reported.

The Jeep rolled once, and the woman, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown out, police said. She was taken to Memorial Hospital, where she died at 7:15 p.m.

Road crews on city and state roads tried to keep up with requests for sand and de-icer. Bridges and overpasses were particularly slippery, according to reports.
“What happened to summer?” one plow driver asked over his radio.

The day hit its high temperature of 33 degrees about 10 a.m., but the temperature dropped below freezing an hour later. The National Weather Service reported freezing drizzle at the airport about 4 p.m., when the temperature had dropped to 24 degrees.

The forecast calls for cold, periodic snow, freezing drizzle and rain today and early Sunday.

“Hopefully, this system won’t slow down and make it a bad day all Sunday,” weather service forecaster Pamela Evenson said.

Reports of crashes started pouring in soon after 5 p.m., and police announced about 5:30 they would respond only to accidents with injuries or those involving alcohol or drugs.

The city’s streets division sent out 25 trucks just after 6 p.m. to spread anti-skid material and salt, chiefly on roads in northeastern parts of the city, said Peg Richardson, an operations manager.

0 comments: