Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


So I have seen many of you do this theme lately and I thought, hey, why not. So, here are 13 of my favorite Christmas songs. Oh, and I apologize for the redundancy in my descriptions of the songs. I think I say I looove it under each one. It is very early in the morning, I am not awake yet, and my writing skills are lacking quite a bit at the moment.

1. O Holy Night. - This is my absolute favorite Christmas song. I love it. I love most renditions of it that I hear. Although, yesterday I heard a gal on the radio who just butchered the beautiful song. But, this is my favorite to listen to and to sing. I looooooooove it!

2. Silent Night - Such a beautiful song. I think of it as a lullaby. I love to listen to Jewel's version of this song. Having been in choirs most of my life, I have sung this song many, many times....even in German. I can still even remember the German translation......Stile Nacht.

3. Jesu Joy- So, this song wasn't written to be a Christmas song, but it is on many Christmas albums. I think we use the song more often in weddings. But I love performing this song and listening to it.

4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear/Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem- Okay, so when I was a kid, I had a Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas album. On it was a version of It Came Upon A midnight Clear that would flow into Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem. It was my favorite song on the album and I think I would listen to it over and over and over again. To this day, I still looove listening to these two songs, just not by the Cabbage Patch Kids.

5. Breath Of Heaven - What a gorgeous song and it really beautifully captures how Mary felt. I love hearing the story from Mary's perspective. Amy Grant has the best version that I have heard thus far. I used to perform Breath Of Heaven every Christmas at my church. GREAT SONG!

6. Coventry Carol- I performed this song as a child while in The Phoenix Girls Chorus and I always loved it.

7. Candlelight Carol- I have heard a few versions of this song, but my favorite is on Neil Diamond's Christmas album which I purchased a few years ago specifically for this song. I had heard it on the radio and loved it so much. I love the melody and the lyrics. Beautiful. If you have never heard it or have never heard Neil Diamond's version, I suggest you do. It's BEAUTIFUL!

8. The Chipmunks Christmas song- So, I don't remember the name of this one right now off the top of my head. But I know you must know what I am talking about. It is the one where the Chipmunks sing about what they want for Christmas and for santa to not be late. It's a cute song. I also had this album as a kid and it was my FAVORITE album because of the cover.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
On the cover, the calendar is opened to December 21st, which is my birthday, so I loved that my birthday was on the album. I used to listen to the Chipmunks sing tons of Christmas songs over and over again. It must have driven my parents crazy.

9. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Such a beautiful song, especially when sung by Frank Sinatra. I was in the musical, Meet Me In St. Louis, which is where this song is from. So, it also has sentimental meaning.

10. All I want For Christmas Is You - Yes, the song by Mariah Carey. I hate to admit it, but it's fun to sing and I love how it starts out slow and then all of a sudden, you're jamming to it. It's got a great beat. I do think it is way too overplayed however.

11. Ave Maria - If sung by the right person, especially in a huge concert hall or church, this song is absolutely breathtaking.

12. Veni Veni Emmanuel - Another song I loved performing at Christmastime. I just really love it...don't know why.

13. I'll Be Home For Christmas - I love the lyrics...I love the melody. And I love that I will be home for Christmas this year. :o)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy, and fun!!






0 comments: