Tuesday, December 5, 2006

In Other Words



What a GREAT quote today. When I was done reading it, I actually said, "Wow!"

"One response was given by the innkeeper when Mary and Joseph wanted to find a room where the Child could be born. The innkeeper was not hostile; he was not opposed to them, but his inn was crowded; his hands were full; his mind was preoccupied. This is the answer that millions are giving today. Like a Bethlehem innkeeper, they cannot find room for Christ. All the accommodations in their hearts are already taken up by other crowding interests. Their response is not atheism. It is not defiance. It is preoccupation and the feeling of being able to get on reasonably well without Christianity."
~ Billy Graham ~


I must admit, I was quite convicted after reading Billy Graham's quote. I know that I can't go on reasonably well without Christ, yet I feel many times I give Jesus the same response as the innkeeper. How many times is my inn crowded? How many times are my hands too full; my mind too preoccupied? Honestly, almost everyday, I turn Christ away. I mean I still make Him a part of each day. I do pray before meals and in the evening. And a few days a week, the day care kids have a Bible lesson that correlates with the week's theme. But when I look at other things throughout the day that I allow to take up some of my time, I realize that I really could have devoted much more time for God. I am not making it the priority that I need to. I am well aware of that and really want to work on fixing that. This quote really helped because it made me compare myself to the innkeeper. And, goodness, I don't want to be the person saying, "Sorry, God. I just can't even pencil you in today. There is no room in my day right now for you." How much that must hurt Him. And how much I know it hurts me.

"Lord, God. I know that I am a busy bee most days, but I also know that I need you to be the focal point of my days. Please forgive me for not taking the time for you that I need. Please help me desire in such a way to sit at your feet. Please help me discipline myself to take that time to be in your word. I so need you. I need to start my day with you; to end my day with you. Thank you for loving me despite my distraction. I love you. In Jesus' name, Amen."

0 comments: