Tuesday, September 5, 2006

In Other Words



"Don't let schooling interfere with
your education."
- Mark Twain -


So, I admit it, this quote scared me and I wasn't going to take part this week. I wasn't sure what to write about at all. So, I then went and read what everyone else who had participated wrote. And sure enough, reading everyone else's got me thinking. It sure did.

I realized that I am already doing that thing parents do. Ya know the thing where parents kind of decide their children's futures. My kiddos are only 2 1/2 and 2 months old, but I have already made up my mind that they will be amazing students. I have decided that they will get A's and B's and go on to attend private Christian universities and earn degrees.

In fact my hubby and I talked about this a couple of months ago. He asked me, what if the miss doesn't want to go to college? And I answered rather matter-of-factly, "Oh, she'll want to and she will!"

In my home growing up, education and schoolwork were very important. And thankfully, for my dad, I loved school. I loved learning. I was an over-achiever and I got great grades. I was even enrolled in a special program in elementary school for gifted children where we could be a little more challenged. I didn't go on to college right away though. I am now working on getting my degree while also working, running a household and caring for two children. But I will eventually have my degree and the main reason being because I feel it is important.
I don't want to expect my children to attend college and earn degrees if I don't even have mine. I feel it is hypocritical of me.

Anyway, as I read over other posts by this week's participants, I realized that God or my children for that matter, may not have the same plan for their lives that I have for them. Or, perhaps my children won't end up being the type of students I envision them to be. I also realized that learning may not end up coming as easily for them as it did for me. In other words, "Mom, let go of your expectations, now."

There were many gals who because of the demands placed on teachers to instruct in certain ways, ended up having their children either behind or too far ahead. They wound up home schooling their children so that they could teach their children at the levels they were at and guide them each step of the way.

Reading over varying experiences with kids and schooling, I realized that I need to allow my children to show me what it is they need. I can't dictate what it is they need. I can't make that decision for them.

But, I still wouldn't mind one bit if they are A students and then get all excited about attending college. Oops, there I go again.

0 comments: