Wednesday, May 17, 2006


Thirteen Things To Remember Class of 1997


Around this time nine years ago, I was graduating from High School. (Sorry to all those who now may feel old reading this). I am not sure if you remember, but there was a song out on the radio that year entitled, Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen. It was written to the class of 1997. It was a man speaking words of advice. I thought that I would take 13 tidbits from that song for today's Thursday Thirteen. Enjoy!

1. Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of 1997. Wear Sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

2. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.
Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded.
But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.

3. Don't worry about the future.
Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday.

4. Do one thing every day that scares you.

5. Sing.

6. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

7. Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

8. Dance - even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

9. Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

10. Accept certain inalienable truths:
Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old.
And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

11. Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

12. Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

13. Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.
But trust me on the sunscreen.

To read all of the lyrics to this song, you can go Here

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I'll add you here!)
1. Catherine 2. Angie 3. Yellow Rose
4. Margaret 5. Wendy Wings 6. Tess 7. barbara 8. Undercover Angel 9. Janice 10. Jo 11. Gabrielle 12. Christine 13. Chaotic Mom 14. Libragirl 15. Amanda 16. Mary 17. Carmen 18. Karen 19. Wystful1 20. Tennessee Mom 21. Sonya 22. Lisa
23. Tracy L 24. Dorothy 25. Carol 26. Lisa 27. Susan 28. Ashley 29. Kimmy 30. Joan 31. Susan



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



36 comments:

catherine said...

Very thoughtful list.
It's too late for me on #11 though. I've messed with my hair for 28 years now.

My 13 are up.

YellowRose said...

Yes that made me feel old....but it is a great list!!! ;)

Happy Thursday! My TT is up!

Angie said...

very neat list...i graduated in 88, but I think the same things apply!

Margaret said...

I love that song! Although it's been 20 years since I graduated HS. Who's old now? LOL! -Mix

WendyWings said...

So much truth there, I feel very old now too lol.
My hair was 40 a couple of years ago it doesn't look 85 thankfully.

the lizness said...

I also graduated class of 97 thanks for visiting my T13 (btw no computer lab b/c it was a private bible college and ...1997 so not everyone in the world was even on dialup yet) :)

Barbara said...

Great idea for a t-13! I graduated the same year as you - with the numbers reversed (I feel old right now!)

mY t13 IS UP

PrincessPinkcat said...

I graduated in 1987. I love your idea for a TT! My TT is up.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

i remember that song...but i graduated in 1991 - just a bit older..

my T13 is up too

Jo said...

I never heard of that song. I think I'm the oldest. But it's great advice for any age!

Gabrielle said...

i'm class 88... :) aren't we THAT old? hehe

Christine said...

Great list! I'm class of '90.
#9 is my favorite. I look at my kids and I hope that they all stay close.
Happy Thursday! My TT is up!

Chaotic Mom said...

I graduated the same year as Angie. If I wrote this list I might be a weeeeeeee bit more cynical. Especially this morning.

I just signed up for my 20 year reunion. Sigh...

Libragirl said...

I use to love this song. I graduated in 88 and have no idea what songs were popular then And because someone pointed it out....we still have 2 years til out 20...it's important that 2 year distiction.

Amanda http://www.kickass.4everlasting.com said...

Love the list, very good advice in there!
My TT is up.

Mary said...

True on all those statements. I graduated in 1989 (ARGH!) and I look back now and go "Wow - life wasn't so badd then was it?"

My TT is up too!

Carmen said...

Always did think that was some good advice :)

Changed by His Love said...

I remember that song!!! I graduated two years before that in 95.
Thanks for visiting my TT!

Wystful1 said...

I especially appreciate #10 -- yep, so true.

My T T is up

Tennessee Mom said...

She should have added: dont wear makeup, it will make you look old before your time.

Great list!

Sonya said...

I only graduated 4 years prior to you and don't remember hardly anything. LOL! Thanks for visiting my T13.

Lisa said...

Love your list! So true!!

Strong Enough said...

Great list! I don't remember that song but then again I graduated in 91. Not feeling old here. ;)

My TT is up!

Dorothy said...

I remember that song. I listened to it everyday on my commute to work when I lived in Dallas. I absolutely loved it and it helped me make a life changing choice to leave an abusive marriage and live on my own two feet. Thanks for that memory.

Carol said...

Much wisdom in that list. Sing! Absolutely.

Mine's up,too.

Lisa said...

I remember that song, even though I graduated in '91!

My 13 are up!

Susan said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL list....I think it's a great reminder...even for us "old folks"!!

My TT is up.

Ashley said...

that is the most awesome song ever! i love it! #8 is my favorite :) visit me if you have a chance!

Kimmy said...

Great list idea! I totally forgot about that song! And I really liked it.
Huh... thanks!

Joan said...

Great advice -- though I never heard the song!

My 13 are posted.

Susan said...

I always worry about my future but then Im considering ur advice about doing something that scares me everyday hmmm...hehehehe I always never keep my bank statements and yes I keep my love letters. great list!!!

Happy Thursday!

Momma Bee said...

Oh yes, I totally remember that song! I was in college at the time myself.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my T13.

Your daughter is gorgeous!!

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

I think I remember that song. It is mostly spoken, right?

Pretty cool list.

My T13 is up.

Nikki said...

I'm graduated highschool in 1997, too. Never heard the song, though. And I so agree with #12. I have managed to hold on to my closest friends from highschool and now I'm godmother two of their kids.

This is a great list!

txsoapmom43 said...

A great list. I've never heard of the song. I guess I'm just too old. I graduated in 1980. But the lyrics had some very good advice that would apply to any age.

Cheryl said...

I am late out to thank you for visiting my TT last Thursday.
Thank you.

Great List! :)